Spaces devoid of windows or openings allowing natural air circulation and cooling are nothing unusual. Basements converted into condos, dressing rooms tucked out in some sultry corners in the house, and other spaces enclosed by walls can be hard to ventilate.
But this doesn’t mean these drab spaces can’t be converted into well-lit and ventilated areas. In this guide, let’s talk about how you can use different kinds of AC units to ventilate your dingy space and turn it into a cool joint.
Best AC Units for Rooms with No Windows Comparison Chart
Best Mini Split system
Best Evaporative Cooler
Best Portable AC (vented)
Best Through-the-wall AC
The Challenges Of Cooling A Room Without Windows
Poorly ventilated rooms have poor air circulation. It makes them hot, damp and even stuffy. Likewise, the humid air inside the room will clog your AC´s condensate drain unit making it overwork, overheat and eventually break down. Ultimately, you incur high maintenance costs that could otherwise be avoided by using a customized cooling unit.
Some Of The Cooling Options For Rooms With No Windows
Often times, rooms that have no windows are also compact in size. This means that whatever the cooling system you are to settle for, it should fit into the available space. And it shouldn’t be noisy and should basically work without the need for constant monitoring.
Fortunately, you do not need to fabricate your own custom-made cooling system. There are already numerous and very efficient hybrid systems designed to operate in poorly ventilated and compact spaces. Here are four such systems to choose from:
This is a ductless AC designed to sap air from the outside and hence cooling down the room. A mini-split air conditioner is a hybrid structure consisting of a window unit, a central air unit and a condenser. During installation, the condenser is placed outside and then connected to an evaporator placed high up inside the room. The merits of sourcing for a Minisplit system are:
- The outdoor components make the system compact enough to fit into small spaces such as small basements and dressing rooms. The indoor evaporator can also be placed in any appropriate point inside the room. Thus it won’t stand in the way of items such as furniture or lighting components.
- Since the condenser, which is the noisier part of the system, sits outside the room, the whole system is generally quiet. It makes this cooling system ideal for rooms such as a man cave or a dressing room. Or a relaxation joint where silence is of utmost importance.
- The system is flexible and can be zoned so that you only cool individual rooms when the need arises.
Best Minisplit System: Pioneer WYS012-17
- Has a 12,000 BTU heating capacity.
- Powered by a 110/120 vac voltage.
- Ideal for single zone residential use.
- Also suitable for light commercial applications.
- Meets UL standards.
Evaporative Air Cooler
If you live in a low-humidity area, the evaporative air coolers can provide a cost-effective way to cool your house. Evaporative air coolers work on the principle of evaporation. By accelerating the natural heat exchange process.
Basically, the system has a pump that draws water from a reservoir and delivers it to cooling pads on the back part of the cooler. Filter pads placed at the back of the system suck in the warm, dry air in the room. And force it to flow over the damp pads causing the water to evaporate. The evaporation cools the hot air thus making your space more hospitable.
Why Install An Evaporative Air Cooler In Your Room
- An evaporative air cooler operates smoothly and quietly. You can thus install it in basically any type of space, be it your dressing area, bedroom, or your favorite relaxation area in the basement.
- The whole unit costs much less compared to some other ventilating systems. As it is free standing and doesn’t come with an exhaust vent hose. Compared to some other power-hungry cooling systems, the non-motorized swamp air cooler only needs water to chill your space. This lowers operational and maintenance costs.
- Evaporative air coolers are also ventless meaning that you won’t need to alter the room. Or make ugly holes on the walls to vent the system to the outside. This means you can install it with ease and start using it right away.
Top Evaporative Cooler: Honeywell CL201AE:
- Has two wheels for portability.
- 288 watts of power consumption.
- Has four fan speeds.
- Equipped with oscillating louvers for even distribution of cool air.
Portable Air Conditioner
Portable air conditioners tower over the crowd. They are extra efficacious, produce little noise during their operation and can double up as a dehumidifier and a fan. You’ll find these energy-efficient cooling units easy to move around the house. And this makes them suitable for apartments where other central AC units may not fit. So, how do you benefit by opting for a portable air conditioner?
- Can comfortably cool a large space.
- The unit is programmable to suit your needs.
- Specialized filters clean up the air.
- The dual hose leads to efficient performance.
Best Portable AC (vented): Black+Decker BPACT14HWT
- Versatile as it comes with cooling, dehumidification, fan, and heating modes.
- Equipped with programmable, electronic controls to ease operation.
- Powerful enough to heat up to 250-325 sq. ft of space.
- A LED digital display keeps you posted on the room temperature.
- Includes 4 feet,11 inches hose for better positioning.
- The unit carries up 7,500 BTU of heat.
Through-the-wall AC units offer a more permanent cooling solution as they emit the heat from the exterior part of the home’s walls. These self-contained cooling units come with wall sleeves that secure the unit on the walls. Through-the-wall units are versatile enough for installation on any space.
Comparison Between Window AC Units And Through-The-Wall Units
Through-the-wall units mainly vent from the rear section minimizing possibilities of warm air re-entering the room. Window AC Units vent the heat from both the rear parts and the sides.
Window AC units are easily portable. Thus can be brought in only when the need arises. Through-the-wall units are a rather permanent fixation.
Window AC units can only be fitted on the windows and, as such, you must get measurements right during the purchasing processes. Also, a poorly fitting Window AC unit may lead to leakages and inefficiencies. Through-the-walls are conveniently fixed on holes, made to specifically fit the unit.
Best Through-The-Wall AC: LG LT1016CER
- It has a 9,800 BTUs capacity and cools up to 450 sq. Ft of room space.
- It has 3 fan speeds to choose from.
- It has an EER (energy efficiency Ratio) of 10.6.
- Fitted with a Mesh filter to clean the air.
There are different ways to cool and refresh a room lacking windows. The kind of system to install in a room depends on a variety of factors. Including space available, portability, associated costs, and humidity of the environment.
The units herein have a wide application, and can certainly fit into any space. Or adapt to any existing climatic condition. Check out what fits your space and enjoy the convenience of having a cooled space in the midst of searing heat.